Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lin's Surfing Dream Came True!

I just came back from a business trip to Hawaii. I stayed on the island of Oahu , at the Westin Moana Surfrider Waikiki Beach for the first half of the week, and the Sheratin Waikiki for the remainder. I spent a lot of time checking out hotels, so there was not much free time. On my last day, however I managed to squeeze in a few hours of fun. For the first time in my life I took a surfing lesson! It was a struggle at first, but when I was finally able to stand up on the board and surf it was such thrill it go with the waves!

Surfing did not come easily to me. It is a lot harder than it looks. First, I did not have enough shoulder and arm strength to paddle. Then when I finally succeeded in paddling to where the waves were, I got stuck there because I did not know how to turn the surf board to face the beach. Then once I was turned around, I would either be pushed too close to the beach or I would get knocked down by the waves! So, then I would have to get to the surface and climb up on the board again. Once I even drifted away from my class and I couldn't get back to my group where my instructor was! I felt so alone, struggling and not knowing what to do. I almost wanted to give up.



Thankfully, the owner of Hans Hedemann Surf, Hans Hedemann came by to help the beginners that were stuck. I was lucky to have Hans as my instructor. The first thing he did was give me a softer surf board which my feet could grip. This was great. I followed his instructions and did all that he taught me. There I was...........feeling and hearing the sound of the wave as I was gliding through the water. I could enjoy feeling of the wind blowing on my face while surfing. I was totally elated and on a total high after that! A couple things to be aware of……not only do you have to be in relatively good shape, but having good balance surely helps! AND, it takes a lot of perseverance!!!

As this was a business trip, my husband, Ken, stayed home with the kids. I think he had more time for fun and relaxation!! Each day I, along with 43 other travel agents from California , went to inspect and learn the unique features of many hotels. Needless to say, the surfing lesson was by far the highlight of my trip!

Lin can be contacted at lin_travels@sbcglobal.net 

Located:
Waikiki Beach at the Park Shore Hotel
Fax: (808)926-7779

No comments:

Post a Comment